Updated on April 22, 2016
Global Development Analytics facilitated a hackathon at Ashesi University in Accra, Ghana, October 24-26, 2015.
The goal of the event was to explore technology and data solutions to help farmers adapt to climate change, increase farmer income, and increase youth participation in agriculture.
25 Computer Science students from 7 different countries participated on 5 teams over the course of 48 hours to identify information gaps and decision points in the agricultural value chain that could benefit from technology.
Five solutions and prototypes emerged:
• Website portal and app to inform and encourage youth participation in agriculture
• Application to track and monitor farmer costs/profits to help farmers secure loans
• SMS based platform to help farmers identify buyers for their crops
• Ecommerce website to match buyers and sellers and increase transparency of prices
• SMS application to provide farmers the weather forecast for seven days and the irrigation needs for the particular crop they grow
The winning team demonstrated a working SMS application interface using 7 day rainfall data mapped to specific crop irrigation needs, and is exploring more advanced integration with aWhere data sets to increase accuracy of the forecasts for farmers using geo-located data.
Contact us if you have a question the FAQs page hasn't covered.